Thursday, November 29, 2012

The End Of A Long Journey





I hold in my hand, the end. This pill marks the end of my two and half year, nine- medication journey with psychopharmacology. I was on some of these medications for two weeks. Some for over a year. Sometimes one at a time. And sometimes four. Some of these medications I should have never been prescribed. Some caused more problems than they solved. Some were very low doses. Some were extremely high. They were antidepressants, anticonvulsants, mood stabilizers, and antipsychotics. None seemed to help.

I’m not cured and I might have to live significant parts of my life struggling with things that have become commonplace to me. But I am “okay.” At eighteen, I have seen many things and worked many systems that most people won’t see or work in their entire lives.

This final 150mg dose of Lithium marks the end of a journey that I hope that I won’t have to embark on again. But if I do, I’m ready. I can handle it.

I’m in it for the long-run, for the fight. I am strong.

And tomorrow morning, when I take what will hopefully be my last dose of a psychiatric medication, I will be free! 

No comments:

Post a Comment