Thursday, November 29, 2012

The Bell Jar

Although there are only 3 classes left in the semester, my English Professor assigned us Sylvia Plath's "The Bell Jar" to read. I knew when I signed up for the class this summer that this book was on the syllabus, and if fact, it's on of the reason that I chose the class. I'm not so sure that it's a good idea any more. I've resolved that I am going to spend as little time alone while reading it as possible, but it is still triggering. Extremely triggering at times, actually. For class discussion it helps if we annotate the book, but since I have a moral opposition to writing in this book, I have been putting post-it notes in the margins with anything that I feel is worth noting. To make my life easier, I am using two different color notes: one for class-related points, and one for personal ones.

Furthermore, I have to give a presentation of Plath probably on Tuesday or Thursday. In order to research for the presentation, I went to the library today to check out a couple of books on her. For every book that I grabbed I opened to a medication I had been on, a hospital I had been in, a diagnosis I had received, or another piece of specific information relating to that period of my life. That was really not what I was looking for tonight.

I will make it, though. I will read the book safely and take important and helpful information from it.

-Hope

No comments:

Post a Comment