Tuesday, November 27, 2012

"How To Save a Life"

I felt that this blog needs a little bit more "fluff" while it's getting started, so here is the analysis of a song. I wrote this about a year and a half ago, and my writing is much different than it is now, but I thought that I would share anyway.

know that most people have already heard the song"How to Save a Life" by the Fray before (or maybe not) but I think that the story behind it, and especially the video carries a really important message. I believe that the story behind the song (I may be wrong, I'm doing this from memory of something that I read a while ago) is that the lead singer worked at a camp one summer for "emotionally disturbed" youth and this song was inspired by his experience seeing young people struggling. Although I'm not normally a fan of music videos, the video for this son is absolutely amazing. Please watch it for yourselves, but I'll write a little bit about it here as well. Most of the video shows children that are evidently struggling with things whether it be stress, grief, depression, or any number of things and it shows them in some way connected to a struggle that they're going through. Then, while this is going on it gives simple usually one to four or so word descriptions of "how to save a life." It also shows words of things that troubled the kids. I know that that wasn't a great description, but watch the video and listen to the song, I know the Fray has a reputation as a "pop" band, but it really is a great song and video. Who knows, maybe it could even help “save a life.” Happy Listening!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjVQ36NhbMk&ob=av3e

-Hope

No comments:

Post a Comment