Thursday, November 29, 2012

My Roommate


My roommate is bad for my recovery, my mental health, and my physical health.

I’m trying to be very careful. I know that I could have done far worse for a roommate this year and that most of the time we tolerate each other extremely well. Shy of when I’ve been at home or an occasional slip-up to a friend here, I have not said, or written, a negative thing about her. It’s not worth it. Here is my one complaint right now however, and I am choosing it carefully:

She has very odd eating and exercising habits and is quite obsessed with how she looks. It takes her hours to get ready in the morning and at night, which, as far as logistics go at least, is fine. We’ve managed so far. However, I’m worried that while I’m trying to balance the appropriate way for me to eat and dress (I’ve also been sick so I have to wear baggy clothing that covers most of my skin) having her around is an additional and unnecessary stress. I feel her constantly judging my dressing and eating habits and I am having trouble with it. She “treats everyday like a fashion show,” while I dress for comfort. She eats as little as she possibly can and exercises as much as she can, while looking down on those who don’t. I can’t handle her judgements while I’m trying to get my own life together, and I can’t tell anyone because I don’t want anyone here to know about my struggles. I don’t know what to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment